Monday, April 27, 2009

Rangers Pitching Lets Another One Slip Away

In the top of the 5th inning on Sunday, both Hank Blalock and David Murphy hit homeruns, driving in three runs and giving Texas a 5-1 lead. In the bottom of the same inning, starter Brandon McCarthy gave all three runs back to Baltimore, letting them right back into the game.

"To me, that's the game right there," McCarthy said. "I couldn't be more disappointed with what happened in the fifth. They gave me three runs, and it's time to get a shutdown inning. Giving up those runs, that's unacceptable. That's the tipping point that could have pushed us in the right direction or the wrong direction."

Manager Ron Washington couldn't disagree.

"The fifth inning killed us," Washington said. "Once you get that lead, you want to shut them off and keep that momentum."

"I just wasn't comfortable throwing strikes," McCarthy said. "I just didn't feel comfortable mechanically. I don't have an explanation. It's something I have to figure out immediately.

"I was fighting myself. I was putting myself in bad counts, and it got to the point where they were excited to face me. You can't let that happen. You can't let a good hitting team like that be hungry and excited to face you."

Regardless of the poor outing, McCarthy did leave with a one-run lead. Reliever Jason Jennings made sure they didn't stand up, allowing a 3-run homer in the bottom of the 6th inning to Adam Jones. In six games this season against Texas, Jones is now 11 for 28 with 3 homeruns and 12 RBI.

Adam Jones is hitting .393 against Texas this season.

"We didn't want to lose three games to these guys," said Jones. "We know we are a good team. We have to go out there and do it."

The homerun by Jones gave Baltimore a 7-5 lead and their bullpen made the lead stand up, throwing 5 scoreless innings and not allowing a baserunner until Andruw Jones got on in the 9th.

"It's a great win for us," said relief pitcher Danys Baez. "We went through a lot of things in the past couple days."

No comments:

Post a Comment