Monday, April 27, 2009

Thomas Diamond Looking To Finally Live Up To His Promise

Another arm could be close to getting a shot in the Rangers bullpen.

Five years ago, Diamond was the Rangers' No. 1 draft choice, the 10th player selected overall in the 2004 baseball draft. He was the Rangers' No. 1 prospect in 2005.

But after compiling a 26-11 record in '05 and '06, Diamond missed all of 2007 after having to undergo Tommy John surgery and struggled to regain his form last year, posting a 3-3 record with a 6.20 ERA for AA Frisco.

But Diamond had looked more like his old self this season, his first in AAA. In four appearances, Diamond is 1-0 with a 4.50 ERA and has regained much of the velocity that was missing from his pitches last season.

Thomas Diamond

"I'm pretty close to the way I was before," said Diamond, who turned 26 on April 6. "Everything seems to be coming back nicely, so I'd say I'm pretty close to how I was before. But not quite the same.

"My velocity isn't all the way back yet, but you just pitch with what you've got. I know that I'm not where I was before, not quite at my best yet."

After spending his entire career as a starting pitcher, Diamond is now learning a new role as a relief pitcher.

They told me I was going to be a relief pitcher late this spring," Diamond said. "It doesn't really matter, as long as I'm pitching. Either way. It's really fairly easy to switch from one to the other.

"I get a chance to play a little more, pitch in more ballgames. Pitching every fifth day, it's more of a set routine. Out of the bullpen, you just never know."

With the Rangers inability to get consistent pitching out of it's bullpen, Diamond may find this new role is also the fastest way to get to Arlington.

No comments:

Post a Comment