Monday, April 6, 2009

Rangers Opening Day 20 Years Ago

I love Opening Day. The sun shines a little brighter, hope abounds, and everyone opens the season in first place. 1989 was my very first Opening Day, 20 years and 2 days ago today.

Texas had made several offseason moves, trading for Rafael Palmeiro & Julio Franco and signing the legendary Nolan Ryan, igniting all kinds of interest in a team that had given fans very little to cheer about.

I spent all afternoon prior to the game in between old Arlington Stadium and the hotel where the visiting teams always stayed, waiting on autographs. If I recall correctly, I snagged closer Mike Henneman, pitchers Jeff Robinson & Frank Tanana, catcher Mike Heath, All Star 2nd baseman Lou Whitaker, and outfielders Fred Lynn and Gary Pettis.

When I made my way into the stadium I set up shop down the first base line, in between the dugout and bullpen. It was there I got the autographs of several Rangers players, including Jeff Russell and Nolan Ryan.

Charlie Hough

Charlie Hough was the opening day starter, saving Ryan for the 2nd game of the season (presumably to guarantee 2 sellouts) and Charlie did nothing to disappoint, throwing a 5-hit complete game shutout. Shortstop Scott Fletcher had a double and single off Detroit ace Jack Morris, driving in 3 runs as Texas defeated the Alan Trammell led Detroit Tigers, 4-0.

Texas won 83 games and missed the playoffs that season but to this day 1989 remains my favorite year of baseball. Despite not tearing up the AL, Texas had some really nice guys on that team, with players like Geno Petralli, Brad Arnsberg and Bobby Witt becoming long-time family friends. Thanks to their kindness, I was able to see close to 50 home games that season, converting me into a lifetime baseball fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment