Saturday, April 18, 2009

Rangers Offense Sputters, Royals Roll

What a difference a day makes.

Fresh off a 19 run explosion against the Baltimore Orioles, Texas had to be feeling pretty good with perpetual doormats, the Kansas City Royals, coming to town. But it was the up-and-coming Royals who turned on the bats, scoring four runs in the 2nd inning of starter Matt Harrison, a leadoff homerun by 3b Mark Teahen and a three-run blast by Coco Crisp. Harrison battled, making it into the 6th inning but was forced from the game after a leadoff walk to John Buck and a single by Alberto Callaspo.

Willie Eyre came in and poured gasoline on the fire, allowing a two-run single by Mike Aviles.

Matt Harrison: 5 IP, 6 ER, 4 BB, 3K (0-2)

"I was falling behind too much and showing my offspeed stuff too early," Harrison said. "I should have attacked more with my fastball early. I threw some good offspeed stuff later, but they had already seen it. But, overall, I was falling behind too much. I need to attack more than I have been."

Reliever Josh Rupe fared no better, giving up a 3-run homer to Mike Jacobs. All toll, Kansas City put up 12 unanswered runs.

Texas managed only three extra-base hits the enitre game, solo homeruns by Marlon Byrd and Hank Blalock in the 8th, and a solo homerun by Jarrod Saltalamacchia.

Kansas City - 12
Texas - 3

No comments:

Post a Comment