Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Harrison Pulls Things Together, Rangers Take Series

Texas finally got some consistent pitching out of Matt Harrison as he went seven innings, surrendering four earned runs, walking only one hitter. Struggling early in the season with his control, Harrison stepped up, giving the bullpen some extra rest, and, in the process, picking up his first win of the year.

Darren O'Day and C.J. Wilson combined to pitch a scoreless 8th with Frankie Francisco coming on to pitch the 9th, picking up his fifth save of the year.

The game started off rough for Texas, with Harrison allowing all four of the runs he surrendered in the first two inning. But after the 2nd, Harrison and Co. combined to pitch seven scoreless innings.

Matt Harrison went 7 strong for Texas on Monday night.

"I just tried to change the tempo of my delivery and attack hitters," Harrison said. "The first couple of innings I was up in the zone and wasn't finding my release point. I slowed it down just a little and started getting the ball down in the strike zone. I just got into a groove and kept going with it."

Michael Young added a 2-run homerun in the 5th pulling Texas to within one run. In the 6th, they added three more, highlighted by a 2-run single buy the suddenly scorching David Murphy. Before hitting a homerun two game ago, Murphy had started the season 0 for 22. He's since gone 3 for 8 with 3 RBI. Before his recent hot streak, many speculated Murphy might be on his way to the Minors.

"I obviously know I have to perform," Murphy said. "As far as getting sent to the Minors, I wasn't worried about that. I know they have confidence in me, but you can only struggle for so long."

The series win has Texas feeling good heading back home for a 3 game series with Oakland.

"A good road trip," outfielder Marlon Byrd said. "A real good road trip, especially winning three here. We've got a good team; we should expect to win every series. I know that's not possible but this is the way you have to play to get into the playoffs. I'd love to be Boston and win 11 in a row, but I'll take about six series in a row."

No comments:

Post a Comment