Monday, November 29, 2010

Rangers Sign Torrealba

So long Bengie. Today, the Rangers inked former Giants/Rockies/Mariners/Padres Catcher Yorvit Torrealba to a 2-year deal worth a reported $6.25 million. The signing leaves little doubt that Bengie Molina, should he decide to play another season, will be looking for another team.

Torrealba is a 10-year veteran, is a lifetime .257 hitter and is an above-average fielder with a decent arm. The 31 year old catcher led the NL in fielding percentage (.996) this past season and has a good deal of playoff experience, with the Giants in '03, then with the Rockies in '07 and '09.

"I was looking for a team that could compete and hopefully make it to the playoffs," Torrealba said Monday. "I’m really excited with this bunch of talented young pitchers here. I want to help them out as much as I can by the way I call the game and take charge."

Last season, Padres pitchers went 53-36 with an ERA of 3.14 in games caught by Torrealba.

This signing could also mean the end of Matt Treanor's run in Texas, leaving either Max Ramirez or Taylor Teagarden as the primary back-up to Torrealba. I hope this isn't the case as I like the idea of Treanor returning to be CJ Wilson's personal catcher, something I know Wilson would relish.

No comments:

Post a Comment