Saturday, August 8, 2009

Josh Hamilton Still Battling Demons

Several pictures have surfaced from back in January of this year which show Rangers All-Star slugger, Josh Hamilton, in a less-than-positive light. First published on Deadspin.com, the photos depict an inebriated Hamilton in a bar with several women, none of whom are his wife.

Hamilton held a press conference today to own up to the incident.

"I'm embarrassed about it. For the Rangers, I'm embarrassed about it. For my wife, my kids," Hamilton said. "Unfortunately, it happened. It just reinforces to me that if I'm out there getting ready for a season and taking my focus off the most important thing in my recovery, which is my relationship with Christ, it's amazing how those things creep back in."

Josh Hamilton's January incident. (1)

"Honestly, I hate that this happened," he said. "But it is what it is. You deal with it. I realized that, obviously, I'm not perfect, in this ongoing struggle, battle, that is very real. A lot of people don't understand how real it is."

"I wasn’t mentally fit or spiritually fit…. It just crossed my mind ‘Can I have a drink?’ Obviously, I can’t. One drink leads to two and two drink leads to 10 or 12. When I was in AA, one saying I heard was one drink is too many and 1,000 is never enough. Alcohol just doesn’t mix well with me."

Hamilton informed the team of the incident the day after it happened. The Rangers have said there will be no punishment of Hamilton.

"As soon as it happened, I called my support system -- my wife, the Rangers, MLB and told them what had happened," he said Saturday. "I was absolutely open and honest about it."

"My first reaction in January was concern," said Ranger GM Jon Daniels. "Here’s a guy who’s obviously dealt with substance abuse at a pretty significant level. But immediately he came forward and was honest. He was remorseful, he was accountable."

Josh Hamilton's January incident. (2)

Hamilton was drafted first overall in the 1999 draft by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays but spent much of his time as part of their organization in and out of rehab facilities and/or on suspension by Major League Baseball. Hamilton's January incident was the first drink he'd taken since Oct. 6, 2005.

One would have to believe that what happened in January most certainly could end up costing Hamilton some money as it now re-introduces doubt in his ability to control his addictions. In March, Texas began negotiations with Hamilton on a long-term extention. The All-Star has 4 years of arbitration left before he will be eligible for free agency but the Rangers were looking to lock him up with what many experts speculated was a six-year contract. The offer, which would have paid him significantly more money than he would make during his arbitration years, would also allow Texas to control Hamilton's rights for the first two years of his free agency. While figures of the offer were never released, most believe they were somewhere similar to what Texas agreed on with Ian Kinsler (4 years, $22 million). Hamilton and his agent turned down the offer saying, "My agent and I were disappointed with their offer."

With Hamilton now back in the news due to a relapse (even if it was an isolated incident) you'd have to think, with Josh's past, the fact that he's clearly not out of the woods with regards to his addictions, and his season-long struggles at the plate, Texas may be even less willing to offer up a huge contract extention, choosing instead to ride out the arbitration process.

Hamilton is loved and respected by his teammates and is said to be a positive guy in the clubhouse. In the Saturday press conference, Hamilton said he would be addressing his teammates soon regarding what happened in January.

Josh Hamilton's January incident. (3)

"What I do off the field affects my teammates and the name of this organization. They know who I am and what I want to accomplish.

"I don't feel like I'm a hypocrite. I feel like I'm human. I got away from the one thing that keeps me straightened out and going in the right direction."

No comments:

Post a Comment