Thursday, March 26, 2009

Rangers release former All-Star

The battle for a spot in Texas' bullpen lost a player many considered a prime candidate as the Rangers have released former All-Star right-hander Brendan Donnelly.

Though he has not pitched well this spring, Donnelly said he was surprised by the move. Donnelly made six appearances and allowed five runs on 13 hits, walking one while striking out five. Those evaluating Donnelly simply didn't feel he had shown enough to make them believe he's returned to the form he showed prior to having Tommy John surgery, when he was considered one of the best setup relievers in the game while with the Angels in 2002-06.

Under the terms of the Minor League contract he signed with Texas, Donnelly could have opted out of his deal on Friday had be not been added to the Major League roster, but said he hadn't planned on exercising it in an effort to stay on with the club.

Photobucket

"I didn't see this one coming," Donnelly said. "Basically I don't know if the out-date came into play. We were going to talk to them this morning about extending it. I thought I was throwing the ball pretty good. I gave up a couple of runs but I was told not to walk anybody and I didn't.

"I came in there and pounded the zone. Spring Training is a process, each day you work on something and then you put the final package together at the end. I thought I've thrown the ball better than I have the past couple of years."

His release leaves the Rangers with seven pitchers battling for four bullpen spots: right-handers Warner Madrigal, Josh Rupe, Willie Eyre, Derrick Turnbow, Doug Mathis and Dustin Nippert and recently acquired left-hander Jimmy Gobble.

No comments:

Post a Comment